1.Applicant of permanent visa

Applicant shall be a foreign national wishing to change their current status of residence to the status of residence “Permanent Residence,”, or foreign national wishing to acquire the status of residence “Permanent Residence” because of birth or any other reason.


2.When to apply

   Up until the applicant’s resident status expires (if the applicant wishes to change his/her status of residence);
orWithin 30 days after birth or any other reason (if the applicant wishes to acquire he status of residence “Permanent Residence”)

 3.How to apply

Applicant must complete the required application forms and prepare for the reqiured attached documents.
Make sure all the documents are completed then apply at regional immigration office.

4.Who may submit

Other than who are permitted by the director of regional immigration bureau, an immigration lawyer(Gyosei-shoshi) or an attorney at law (Bengo-shi) that gives notice to the director of regional immigration bureau, may submit on behalf of the applicant foreign national.

 5.Fees for regional immigration bureau

8,000 yen for receiving permission (Payment must be made with revenue stamps)



    • Application form
    • 4cm(H) x 3cm(W) ID Picture *(The photo must be clear enough without background, must be taken within 6 months before the application procedure.)
    • A copy of the family registration, the marriage certificate, the birth certificate and other documents certifying the status of the foreign national concerned.
    • Documents certifying an annual income and tax payment. In cases where the person concerned doesn’t have an income, documents certifying supporter’s occupation and income.
    • A letter of guarantee by the person living in Japan.


If you are interested in applying for permanent visa, please contact us for further information.




Guidelines for Permission for Permanent Residence
1. Legal requirements
(1) The person is of good conduct.
The person observes Japanese laws and his/her daily living as a resident does not inviteany social criticism.
(2) The person has sufficient assets or ability to make an independent living.
The person does not financially depend on someone in the society in his daily life, and his/her assets or ability, etc. are assumed to continue to provide him/her with a stable
base of livelihood into the future.
(3) The person’s permanent residence is regarded to be in accord with the interests of Japan.
a) In principle, the person has stayed in Japan for more than 10 years consecutively. It is also required that during his/her stay in Japan the person has had work permit or the
status of residence for more than 5 years consecutively.
b) The person has been never sentenced to a fine or imprisonment. The person fulfills public duties such as tax payment.
c) The maximum period of stay allowed for the person with his/her current status of residence under Annexed Table 2 of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition
Act is to be fully utilized.
d) There is no possibility that the person could do harm from the viewpoint of protection of public health.
※ The requirements (1) and (2) above do not apply to spouses and children of Japanese nationals, special permanent residents or permanent residents, and requirement (2)
does not apply for those who have been recognized as refugees.
2. Special requirements for 10-year residence in principle
(1) The person is a spouse of a Japanese national, special permanent resident or permanent resident, and has been in a real marital relationship for more than 3 years consecutively and has stayed in Japan more than 1 year consecutively. Or, the person is a true child of a Japanese national, special permanent resident or permanent resident, and has stayed in Japan more than 1 year consecutively.

(2) The person has stayed in Japan for more than 5 years consecutively with the status
of long term resident.
(3) The person has been recognized as a refugee, and has stayed in Japan for more than5 years consecutively after recognition.

(4) The person has been recognized to have made a contribution to Japan in diplomatic,social, economic, cultural or other fields, and has stayed in Japan for more than 5 years.
※ Please see “Guidelines for Contribution to Japan.”
(Note) In these guidelines, for the time being, any person whose period of stay is “three
years” shall be regarded as a “person who is allowed to stay up to the maximum period
of stay”, as specified in the above Section 1 (3) c).