Change of Status of Residence

Any foreigner must apply to the Minister of Justice for the change of status of residence and obtain the permission in case a change of situation arises and, thus, forms the basis of a new status of residence. For example, this permission is required when a temporary visitor is married to a Japanese national or a student has come to be employed in a Japanese company.

In applying for a change of status of residence, one must explain in detail reasonable grounds for the change of status and submit the application forms and other necessary supporting documents.

However, an application will not necessarily approved. In case a foreigner is formally married to a Japanese national, the change of status of residence to Spouse or Child of Japanese National may be readily acknowledged unless it is discovered to be a fake marriage. But other applications for change of status will be decided on a case-to- case basis.